North Chios, Kardamyla

Kardamilla is the third largest town of the island (after the town of Chios and Vrontado). The city’s name has been preserved since ancient times, although the current version is more recent. It has a harbor, Marble, in the recess of a large bay downwind. The majority of the population is engaged in shipping. In recent years they have built several schools and public buildings with donations from owners to their homeland, but extensive urban renewal means that it has survived almost anything from old traditional buildings. The ruins of a medieval fortress on the hill Old reserved. Some traces of the walls of the Hellenistic period indicate that the site was fortified in ancient times.

Everywhere in the Kardamilon are scattered traces passers cultures since the Pelasgians, the Persian wars, the Roman and Byzantine era. This state of the walls and the processed stones and dozens of archaic and Greek names (placenames). The name Kardamili, which in modern times was Kardamyla is purely Greek and probably comes from the word “kardamo”, a vegetable that was once abundant in the region.

In once were great and historic cities such as valleys, Dolphin and Parvanta and around these villages which together built the current Kardamyla. When exactly did this historically unknown. But the tradition says that the inhabitants of towns and villages gathered from fear of pirates slowly in the fortified position are current Kardamyla. And abandoned villages and cities. In worshiped Pelinnaio Jupiter (Zeus) in Pelinnaio or Pelineo mountain, the highest of Chios unknown when it was replaced by the cult of the prophet Elijah that the god Helios.

Mentioned by Thucydides as Kardamili city in which the Athenians in 411 BC invasion In Hellenistic and Roman times played an important role because of its location.

In the Middle Ages it was destroyed by pirates , causing residents to build castles and watchtowers in the surrounding area . The Massacre of Chios in 1822 Kardamilla not spared from destruction. Unleashed as rest of the island in 1912.

Today Kardamilla divided into three outstretched settlements, “Kardamyla” (or “Upper Kardamyla”) built at the foot of the mountain “Gria” , with its seaport “Marble” and its extension, the picturesque neighborhood “Rahi”.